Sunday, May 27, 2012

Memorial Day - Thoughts And Things

Master is a Veteran. He was in Iraq for 9 months, and away from home for over a year, about 2 or so years ago. (He is taking a nap, so I can't ask him exactly how long ago, lol). It took me a while to connect that his normal, average, everyday job that I do, can be so much more dangerous in a setting in Iraq when he does it. It took me a while to understand that some of his friends didn't come home.

I have no experience with someone I know, someone I am close to, being in a military setting. It is... kind of odd, I must say.

He is still in the Army Reserves, and there is that small chance that he can be deployed at any time. Technically, he can get a call and need to be ready in 24 hours. He has assured me that the risk is low, but...

I'm still dealing with it, in my head, that there is a chance he will go..

Anyway, this is all new to me, and I'm trying to understand his reasoning of putting himself in danger, his pride in serving, and all that good stuff.

We have different views with politics, with wars, with a lot of other things, but I have learned that it doesn't matter. What does matter is that I just be there for when things may or may not happen, and whenever some 'demon' from those moments come up.

I've had people thank me, when they thank him. I really don't understand, yet, why I should be thanked, but they say that without the support of family, friends, and loved ones, what would happen to our soldiers?

Thanks to all. Honestly. I never understood the full importance of saying thank you, until I met Master.

No comments:

Post a Comment